Pinyin: bai he
English Name: Lily Bulb
Latin Name: Lilii Bulbus
Properties: sweet, cool
Channels Entered: Lung, Heart
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Moistens the Lung and Arrests Cough
2. Clears the Heart and Calms the Shen (Spirit)
3. Nourishes Stomach Yin and Harmonizes the Middle Jiao
10 to 30 grams in decoction.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Because of its cold and moistening properties, Bai He is contraindicated for patients with middle jiao deficiency, diarrhea or loose stools.
• Bai He is also contraindicated in cases of cough due to wind-cold or phlegm.
• Use of Bai He may be associated with drowsiness and sedation. Therefore, individuals who take this herb should exercise caution if driving or operating heavy machinery.