Pinyin: bo he
English Name: Chinese mint
Latin Name: Herba Menthae
Properties: acrid, cool
Channels Entered: Lung, Liver
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Releases the Exterior and Dispels Wir时 -Heat
2. Clears the Head, Brightens the Eyes and Benefits the Throat
3. V ents Rashes
4. Soothes and Relieves Liver Oi Stagnation
5. Disperses Turbid Oi from the Abdomen
2 to 10 grams in decoction.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Aromatic and acrid, Bo He has a dispersing nature and may consume qi and yin. Therefore, it should be used with caution in patients with yin deficiency， yin-deficient heat, xiao ke (wasting and thirsting) syndrome, perspiration from qi deficiency， Liver yang excess, and those patients who are recovering from chronic illnesses or have deficiency symptoms.
• Chronic, repetitive use may lead to depletion of qi and yang reserves.