Pinyin: dang shen
ENGLISH NAME: Chinese salvia (Root & Rhizome)
LATIN NAME: Codonopsis Radix
Properties: sweet, neutral
Channels Entered: Spleen, Lung
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Tonifies Qi, Strengthens the Middle Jiao
2. Tonifies the Lung
3. Nourishes Blood, Promotes Generation 0' Body Fluids
4. Restores Constitution and Expels Pathogenic Factors
6 to 10 grams in decoction.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Though Dang Shen is mild, it is still a tonic herb that is sweet and cloying, and may generate heat. Therefore, it should be used with caution in cases of excess heat or fire.
• Dang Shen is incompatible with Li Lu (Radix et Rhizoma Veratri).
• It has been reported that dosages of Dang Shen above 63 grams may cause arrhythmia or discomfort in the left pectoral area. However, side effects subside when the herb is discontinued. 1