Pinyin: ge gen
English Name: Kudzu
Latin Name: Puerariae Lobatae Radix
Properties: sweet, acrid, cool
Channels Entered: Spleen, Stomach
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Dispels Wind from the Exterior and Releases Muscles
2. Promotes the Eruption of Measles
3. Clears Heat, Generates Fluids
4. Lifts Yang Qi and Stops Diarrhea
5. Treats Hypertension
10 to 20 grams in decoction.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Use of Ge Gen may be associated with nausea and vomiting because of its co01 nature. Patients with cold in the Stomach, or yang deficiency, should use this herb with caution.
•Ge Gen also should be used with caution during the summer, when excess perspiration accompanies wind- heat invasion.