Pinyin: huang jing (jiu)
ENGLISH NAME: Polygonatum (Wine Fried)
LATIN NAME: Wine Fried Polygonati Rhizoma
Properties: sweet, neutral
Channels Entered: Spleen, Lung, Kidney
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Nourishes Yin, Moistens the Lung
2. Tonifies Kidney Jing (Essence)
3. Relieves Xiao Ke (W asting and Thirsting) Syndrome
4. Tonifies the Spleen and Benefits Qi
10 to 15 grams for dried Huang Jing, 30 to 60 grams for the fresh herb, in decoction. Huang Jing is commonly used in decoction, pills, or powder forms.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Sticky and greasy in nature, Huang Jing may create dampness and stagnation.
• Because of the potential for stagnation, this herb is not recommended for use in cases of dampness with Spleen deficiency, cough with profuse sputum, diarrhea due to cold, or fullness and distention caused by qi stagnation.