Pinyin: jiao gu lan
ENGLISH NAME: Gynostemma
LATIN NAME: Gynostemma Pentaphyllum
Properties: slightly bitter, cold
Channels Entered: Lung, Heart
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Moistensιung, Promotes Generation of Body Fluids, Dispels Phlegm
2. Clears Heat, Eliminates Toxins, Reduces Inflammation
3. Lowers Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
5 to 12 grams in decoction, and 0.75 to 1.0 gram in powder form.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICATIONS
• Jiao Gu Lan may cause mild stomach discomfort when taken as tea on an empty stomach.
• Use of Jiao Gu Lan has been associated with potential side effects such as fatigue, lack of energy, dizziness, chest congestion, mild fever, perspiration, sore throat, rash, increased heartbeat, and increased respiration rate. 1