AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CHINESE HERBS
Pinyin: mai dong
ENGLISH NAME: Ophiopogon
LATIN NAME: Ophiopogonis Radix
Properties: sweet, slightly bitter, cool
Channels Entered: Spleen, Stomach, Heart
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Nourishes Yin and Moistens the Lung
2. Nourishes the Stomach and Generates Fluids
3. Clears the Heart and Eliminates Irritability
4. Moistens the Intestines
10 to 15 grams in decoction. Maí Men Dong should be crushed to increase surface area and facilitate the extraction of active constituents. It is also used in paste, pill or powder form.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Use of Mai Men Dong is contraindicated in patients with coughing caused by wind-cold or damp-
• It is also contraindicated for patients experiencing diarrhea from cold and deficiency of the middle jiao.
• Use of this herb may be associated with drowsiness and sedation. Therefore, individuals who take this herb should exercise caution if driving or operating heavy machinery.