Pinyin: mu li (duan)
ENGLISH NAME: Oyster Shell
LATIN NAME: Calcine Ostreae Concha
Properties: salty, astringent, cool
Channels Entered: Liver, Kidney
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Calms the Liver and Anchors Rising Yang
2. Softens Hardness and Dissipates Nodules
3. Prevents Leakage of Fluids
4. Neutralizes Acid and Relieves Stomach Pain
15 to 30 grams in unprocessed form. Crush and pre- decoct Mu Li to maximize extraction of active constituents. The recommended dosage for the calcined form is slightly lower, due to increased rate of extraction. The unprocessed form more strongly calms Liver wind and anchors Liver yang. The calcined form more effectively neutralizes stomach acid and relieves pain.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Due to its restraining property, Mu Li is contraindicated in patients with damp-heat or excess conditions.
• Overdose of Mu Li may cause indigestion or constipation.