Pinyin: nan sha shen
ENGLISH NAME: Adenophora
LATIN NAME: Adenophorae Radix
Properties: sweet, slightly bitter, cool
Channels Entered: Lung, Stomach
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Nourishes Yin, Clears the Lung and Dispels Phlegm
2. Nourishes the Stomach and Generates Body Fluids
10 to 15 grams of the dried herb, 15 to 60 grams of the fresh herb, in decoction. Nan Sha Shen is also used in pill or powder forms. The fresh herb more effectively clears Lung heat and generates fluids, thus is usually used in treatment of Lung heat with injured yin.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Nan Sha Shen is contraindicated in cough caused by wind-cold.
• Nan Sha Shen antagonizes Fen Fang Ji (Radix Stephaniae Tetandrae).
• Nan Sha Shen is incompatible with Li Lu (Radix et Rhizoma Veratri).