Pinyin: ru xiang (cu)
ENGLISH NAME: Frankincense (Vinegar Fried)
LATIN NAME: Vinegar Fried Olibanum
Properties: acrid, slightly warm
Channels Entered: Lung, Stomach
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Releases the Exterior and Induces Diaphoresis
2. Eliminates Dampness and Harmonizes the Middle Jia
3. Promotes Urination and Relieves Edema
3 to 10 grams. Maximum dosage is 30 grams. The decoction should be cooled to room temperature prior to administration if used to release the exterior and induce diaphoresis during the summer. Xiang Ru is often taken in pill form if intended to regulate water circulation and relieve edema.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Acrid and slightly warm, Xiang Ru may damage qi and yin. Thus, patients with qi or yin deficiency should not take this herb.
• Do not use Xiang Ru as tea for drinking on a daily or long-term basis.
• Administration of the warm decoction may cause vomiting, which may be alleviated by the addition of Xing Ren (Semen Armeniacae Amarum), Huang Lian (Rhizoma Coptidis), Huang Qin (Radix Scutellariae) and other herbs that are bitter or have descending properties.