Pinyin: ting li zi
ENGLISH NAME: Lepidium Seed
LATIN NAME: Descurainiae Semenlepidii Semen
Properties: acrid, bitter, very cold
Channels Entered: Lung, Urinary Bladder
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Sedates the Lung, Relieves Wheezing
2. Reduces Swelling, Promotes Diuresis
3 to 10 grams in decoction.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Strong in its sedating function, Ting Li Zi should be reserved for use in cases of accumulation of phlegm or water characterized by excess conditions. It should not be used in deficient conditions.
• Ting Li Zi should be used with caution for patients with constitutional deficiency or weakness. If Ting Li Zi must be used, it should be taken in combination with Spleen-tonic or qi-tonic herbs to neutralize its cold and sedating properties.
• Use of Ting Li Zi is contraindicated during pregnancy.