Pinyin: wu wei zi (cu)
ENGLISH NAME: Schisandra (Vinegar Fried )
LATIN NAME: Vinegar Fried Schisandrae Chinensis Fructus
Properties: sour, warm
Channels Entered: Kidney, Lung, Heart
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Contains the Leakage of Lung Qi, Arrests Cough, Nourishes the Kidney
2. Generates Body Fluids, Inhibits Sweating
3. Binds Kidney Jing (Essence), Stops Diarrhea and Spermatorrhea
4. Tranquilizes the Heart, Calms the Shen (Spirit)
2 to 6 grams in decoction, 1 to 3 grams in powder.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Use of Wu Wei Zi is contraindicated in excess conditions such as heat, damp-phlegm, Liver fire, wind-heat or rashes that have not cleared.
• lt is a1so contraindicated in the initial stages of common colds, cough, rashes or any exterior condition, as Wu Wei Zi may trap pathogenic factors inside the body.
• Two rare incidences of adverse reactions associated with Wu 讥leiZi have been reported. In case one, following the ingestion of an herbal decoction including Wu 讥lei Zi,
the patient reported palpitations, shortness of breath, chest congestion, increased heart rate and pre-ventricular contraction. 1 In case two, the patient reported respiratory suppression following the ingestion of an herbal decoction including Wu Wei Zi