Pinyin: wu zhu yu (zhi)
ENGLISH NAME: Evodia
LATIN NAME: Euodiae Fructus
Channels Entered: Liver, Spleen, Stomach
Safety Index: slightly toxic
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Dispels Cold, Dries Dampness, Activates Qi Circulation, Relieves Pain
2. Spreads the Liver, Descends Oi
3. Warms Middle Jiao, Relieves Diarrhea
4. Directs Fire Downwards
1.5 to 5 grams. Unprocessed Wu Zhu Yu is 0丘en used topically, while the processed herb is often used internally. Processing is done by cooking the herb with Gan Cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae) to eliminate its drying effect and toxicity.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Wu Zhu Yu is contraindicated in cases of yin deficiency with heat.
• Wu Zhu Yu is not recommended for long-term use, or for use in large doses, due to toxicity.