Pinyin: xiao hui xiang (yan)
ENGLISH NAME: Fennel (Salt Fried)
LATIN NAME: Salt Fried Foeniculi Fructus
Properties: acrid, warm
Channels Entered: Liver, Kidney, Spleen, Stomach
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Disperses Cold, Warms the Liver and Kidney, Relieves Pain
2. Warms the Kidney, Relieves Pain
3. Regulates Qi, Improves Appetite
3 to 8 grams. Unprocessed Xiao Hui Xiang has the strongest function to regulate qi. Salt-fried Xiao Hui Xiang has moderate acrid and dispersing effects. Frying with salt a1so increases its effect to warm the Kidney and Liver, to treat disorders of the lower jiao, such as hernial pain.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICATIONS
• Use Xiao Hui Xiang with caution in cases of yin deficiency with fire.
• Use Xiao Hui Xiang with caution during pregnancy
because of its emmenagogic effect. 1