AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CHINESE HERBS
Pinyin: zhi zi
ENGLISH NAME: Gardenia
LATIN NAME: Gardeniae Fructus
Properties: bitter, cold
Channels Entered: Heart, Lung, Stomach, San Jiao
CHINESE THERAPEUTIC ACTIONS
1. Sedates Fire and Relieves Irritability
2. Drains Damp-Heat Downwards
3. Clears Heat, Cools Blood and Stops Bleeding
4. Reduces Swelling and Relieves Pain
3 to 10 grams in decoction.
CAUTIONS I CONTRAINDICA TIONS
• Bitter and cold in nature, Zhi Zi should be used with caution in patients who have deficiency and cold of the Spleen and Stomach, characterized by loose stools and decreased intake of food.
• Use of this herb may be associated with possible drowsiness and sedation. Therefore, individuals who take this herb should exercise caution if driving or operating heavy machinery.